Wednesday, April 26, 2006

God's Presence-3

It had been almost six years since I had put More Than A Carpenter back in the bookshelf.

In those six years, I had finished law school, moved to Alaska, and almost died surfing, hunting, and mountain climbing. I was a proud atheist, but was never quite been able to shake the idea that "something" cannot come from "nothing." More important, I had met my wife-to-be, who was a Christian, and we had married less than year before at the time I picked that book from the shelf once again. Given the circumstances of my childhood, I saw for the first time what thinking Christians acted like, and, given my father's death some years earlier, I was blessed with a new father figure in my life, my father-in-law.

My new wife was to take a trip to Europe for a few weeks to meet her sister in April of 1992. My work situation was such that I was able to take a few days off, and while she was off in Europe, I had it my head that I was going to "figure out" the whole Christianity thing once and for all.