Sunday, January 29, 2006

The Presence of God (2)

[The first post in this series is here.]*

After my experience in the church described in my first post on this subject, I did indeed manage to avoid churches for some time.

A couple of years later, while in law school, I was home on a Friday or Saturday night, getting ready to go out and meet friends. I had showered and was walking past my bookshelf (such as it was in those days), and noticed a book I head read late in high school. The book was More Than A Carpenter, by Josh McDowell. I had kept this slim volume, for some reason, despite several "purges" of books and other materials that came in the wake of my rejection of "mystical beliefs", as Ayn Rand would put it.

Perhaps because the book had escaped these purges, it caught my eye. I picked it up, gave it a good snicker/shake of the head, and started thumbing through it. It was still early yet, so I decided to sit down and look at it more closely.

Two hours later, I had finished the book. I don't recall everything going through my head at that time, but I do recall thinking to myself what if this is true? I shook the thought and decided to meet my friends. Better late than never.

The evening had just begun, as far as I was concerned. And, as I will recount in my next post, it turned out I was right.

*[The very first post in this series is arguably here .]